Out of the nine filmfest entries, I was also able to see Kasal, Kasali, Kasalo and Super Noypi. Well... most of Super Noypi. I'm so sorry, Quark, but I only got through about 65% of the film. As the tale wore on, I realized that I wasn't the target market, and the charm of Sandara Park's goofiness could sustain itself for only so long.

Unlike other viewer's opinions, I didn't mind Jao Mapa playing Mark Herras' dad. What I did find unsettling was the red background graphic slapped on the bad guy's multi-paneled monitor--a graphic that looked like the PLDT logo.

KKK was good. Not great, just good, about 8.5 stars out of 10. Joey Reyes may not have been gunning for cinematic genius, but the Juday-Ryan starrer was highly entertaining, consistent and well-paced. And what they say about Ryan Agoncillo's natural acting prowess? Lo and behold, it's true.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

While looking through the official site of the Palm Springs International Film Festival, I chanced upon Korea's Gwoemul (The Host), a monster movie that was released last year. It apparently broke Korean box office records with its little twist on the classic creature feature.

The pic is a screenshot I found in LoveAsianFilm, showing the monster wreaking havoc near the banks of the Han River, which runs through the heart of Seoul. That white bar that runs across the image may just be a balcony railing, or part of a window, giving us a spectacular view of the carnage. I can just imagine the chaos brimming in this sequence.

I can't remember the last time we had our own big monster flick. Maybe one of our comics creators can cough up a graphic novel which adds his or her Pinoy spin to this type of tale.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

I accompanied my sister to a nearby fast food joint sometime past midnight. She just needed her fried chicken replaced. On our way to the restaurant, we saw speeding red vehicle hit a stray dog that was crossing the highway. The dog yelped as it spun once in the air, right before our eyes, before landing on its side in the middle of the road. It didn't get up. We could hear it crying in pain as we passed by. My sis and I felt helpless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Pace Comics

What Would You Do With 11 Billion Pesos?

Two Weeks Since Burnout