Siksi Bidyos

Kyla's video for her single "Not Your Ordinary Girl" was a disappointment. While cutey rapper Jimmy Muna was doing his thang with gusto, Kyla seemed lethargic and uncomfortable. After all this time, the Pinoy R&B princess still lacks the groovin' moves. There's no doubting her singing prowess, for sure, but in a video in which she's wearing a miniskirt and a halter top, I think she needs to perform with a little more oomph. There's nothing wrong with a little sexiness.

On the other end of the spectrum, Britney Spears shoves the oomph down your throat and into your gut in her version of "My Prerogative," the 1989 Bobby Brown chart topper. The video attempts to push the Mature Britney persona more towards the edge, and yet there isn't an ounce of sexiness or even artistic value here as far as I'm concerned. (While Madonna's videos for "Justify My Love" and "Erotica" are risqué even by today's standards, you could tell that a lot of thought was put into their production values.) "Slave For You" is by far the hottest and sexiest Britney video.

I hate to say this, but watching Billy Crawford's "Bright Lights" video made my knees week. Man, the former That's Entertainment brat is darn sexy when he dances! Not as sexy as Usher Raymond of course, but there's the sizzle. I won't say anything more.

Meanwhile, South Border's video for "The Show" is a fine example of how Pinoys ought to make videos of a derivative theme. Why derivative? American R&B/hip-hop videos have their tropes, from the gyrating-scantily-clad-women to rappers-moving-through-the-crowd-in-slow-motion shots, and "The Show" adapts them well. Made me smile. But somehow, I can't figure out why this video works for me and not Jay-R's "Throw Your Hands In The Air" (with KROOK and J.O.L.O), a video I found to be pretentious.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Pace Comics

What Would You Do With 11 Billion Pesos?

The Brilliance of 'Atang'