More Reading

Succeeded at fully reading three of 19th-century gothic writer Nathaniel Hawthorne’s short stories – The Hollow of the Three Hills, The Black Veil, and The Ambitious Guest. While going through the swishily verbose tales was like running through knee-deep mud (you simply can’t), the delight at actually understanding whuddafuck he was saying through each whuddafuck paragraph laden with generous doses of whuddafuck words boosts my confidence in my English comprehension skills.

I still have two more stories of his finish – longer ones – Rappaccini’s Daughter and The Gentle Boy. After those monsters, I move on to H.P. Lovecraft.

On the comics front, there’s Batman:Hongkong which I endured till the end. Having been initially blighted by Doug Moench’s writing, reading the rest of this work was a breeze and I didn’t feel the need to gag anymore. It was a simple matter of tuning my brain to the work’s frequency, the same way I did Asamiya’s Batman: Child of Dreams. I’m curious to find out if Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee’s Batman: Hush would prove tastier.

Hordes of fanboys are picking up the JLA/Avengers crossover and I’m not among them. While George Perez’ art is stunning still (even if I believe his work shines more with Romeo Tanghal’s inks), I got burned with Kurt Busiek’s Avengers Forever, another fanboy feast. Skimming through the crossover’s first issue, I felt that the Marvel-DC tie-up of the decade didn’t push enough of my buttons. Maybe if I had the extra moolah I’d go for the trade. But there’s still Neil Gaiman’s 1602 and Endless Nights to prioritize.

Almost done with The Dark Horse Book of Hauntings, a horror anthology which features short comics stories by Mike Mignola, P. Craig Russell, Jill Thompson and other comics pros, an interview with a bona fide medium, and a piece of classic horror prose. (Their names escape me; I have a tough time with names.) Despite the filling content, Php 850 isn’t really a steal of a price. Heck, that’s eight full hours of videoke!

Nikki lent me the quirky Hopeless Savages by Jen Van Meter et al. I’m expecting a fun romp with that one. Then again, maybe I should stop expecting and just read!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Pace Comics

What Would You Do With 11 Billion Pesos?

The Brilliance of 'Atang'