Rambling

Begin Ramble.

Work-wise, I was pretty unproductive today. It was one of those days when thought processes were… well … not processing optimally. The axons and neurons refused to hold hands, so to speak, and I found myself for the most part, unable to concentrate on what needed to be done. Which is totally unacceptable, given the new deadlines.

The workload for the week is still manageable. None of the horrendous urgency of the past weeks, yet my brain’s been screaming “Slacker!!” from within my cranium. Have to get more sleep in tonight, so it’ll be auto-quickie day tomorrow.

I got more lines into my Hierbas script. For those who just tuned in, Hierbas is the next book I’ve been dedicating my writing time to, set in our fantasy world Hinirang. Hierbas tells the story of three women of varying backgrounds, whose intertwining paths lead to irreversibly horrible consequences. I’m gunning for a drama now, with mystic and horror trimmings, which analyzes bits about love, religion, society, and interpersonal politics. With the ever-present “threat” of The Shelf, I’ve got to get a lot of this baby done before the end of the year, as I’m aiming for a late-2004 release.

This, of course, runs counter to my “press release” about releasing Zsazsa In Manila. As I’ve posted before in this blog, whatever gets done first will be it. While I’ve got the plot and story highlights down pat for Zsazsa in Manila, the story has to be able to write itself for the most part, and a voice inside me tells me that it’s still not able to do so. Perhaps the cast is still immersed in their R&R.

Speaking of Zsazsa, the movie is still undergoing preprod, and more casting changes have been made. I’ve been receiving semi-regular feedback on the progress of the movie, and it’s a delightful experience having to be consulted on this matter. A special effects house has expressed interest in doing the project, too, and filming should begin before year end, if not early next year.

Two publishers have expressed interest in compiling parts one and two into a single volume, and I have yet to communicate with them at length on the details behind the deal. As Dean intimated in his blog, Zsazsa and company’s first adventure might (and I’m crossing fingers and toes here) land a finalist slot in this year’s Manila Critics Circle National Book Awards. Now that’s a potential selling point right there.

I’ve been invited by two university-based comics orgs to conduct a seminar-workshop this September on a facet of comics creation, particularly Page Composition. This doesn’t sound like a high-brow topic to hold a session on, but page composition is integral to the success of a piece of grafiction. Because of its relatively subtle contribution to the comics medium (it ranks up there with lettering), it can be difficult to grasp. So I’ll be drawing a significant portion of my powers for this, especially since there has to be a host of visual examples to explain my points. (Thanks to the Ateneo Comics Collective and the UP-GRAIL for the invite.)

End ramble.

- - - - - - - -

From Tobie: Will I help a friend commit "Youth In Asia?" (Euthanasia)

Only if there's no other way out of the intense suffering.

From Vinnie: Will I allow myself to be cloned by a loved one when I pass on?

I guess that's their choice. There's no guarantee that it's still going to be me.

From Vinnie 2: Will I clone a loved one who has passed on?

No. It'll be too freaky. More than that: Will the clone have the original soul? I don't think so. Can you reinvent reincarnation? But then again... what if? There's a story in there somewhere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Pace Comics

What Would You Do With 11 Billion Pesos?

The Brilliance of 'Atang'