Prepping For The Next Project

Yesterday, I confided to our writing sensei Dean the subject of my next book, which is light years away from the amusing Zsazsa Zaturnnah. In the past, when a brainstorm of an idea would hit me, I'd share it with Vinnie, but for some reason those ideas never went further than the idea stage. Maybe they were too raw, or there wasn't that great a push for me to pursue them.

Unlike my previous two works, this new story requires me to do a some research on a wide range of topics, from interactive technology to psychology to mythology, as these elements will be present in what I foresee to be a thick tome, a graphic novel in the real sense of the word. I'm hoping beyond hope that this new idea will have enough fire in it to last me at least through the writing phase. 'Complex' is the word I'd use to describe this new story, which I'd call Deities for now. At its core, Deities has an existentialist bent, about a student's coming to terms with himself and the reality he finds himself in, a scientist obsessed with his visions of utopia, and a woman trying to find her place in a patriarchal culture. It's not a simple thing to pull off, so I'll tackle this piece in a slow, calculated manner, because it's so easy to reduce the story to maudlin masturbatory melodrama (the malevolent 3M's of writing, right, Dean?).

I have a couple of months to write this monster before I start art chores with Vinnie's sci-fi fantasy epic in August. And if the fire dies before I finish writing it, then it should be no big loss. It's all about learning. It always has been.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Pace Comics

What Would You Do With 11 Billion Pesos?

Two Weeks Since Burnout