When Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp Go Down

I woke up at around 1:15 in the morning. It had just rained, so the air was quite cool. I'd normally wake up sweaty, especially during the summers even with the fan on. Last April, I finally, finally, invested in an airconditioner, an appliance I swore I would never need or buy, but the heat was getting in the way of work.

Sad to say, the first thing I do is pick up my phone and check social media. My current phone (purchased early-2020) is a Samsung A50, one of those mid-range models, which I bought only because of the camera. I had wanted to start producing drawing tutorials at the time,  not knowing that I'd go full swing into it because of the pandemic. More on that in another blogpost.

I couldn't access Facebook. I thought there was something wrong with the connection. But Twitter confirmed that Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp were down. I began to think again about how humanity had become dependent/addicted to social media platforms, especially to the tech behemoth Facebook (2.89 billion monthly users as of this writing).

That's why I'm here again, blogging. I decided to write something down.

Another reason why I came back here is Komikon. Sherry Baet-Zamar had emailed me about a book they wanted to put together, tracing back the history of Komikon through the eyes of komiks creators. Because I hardly remember what went on during those early years, I searched through my blog archive, and thankfully the blog entries from 2006 were still intact.

2006 was, what, 15 years ago? So much has happened since then. I should start writing down what I can remember.

Side Notes: The 17 year-old Facebook is currently facing another crisis with a whistleblower (Frances Haugen) claiming the platform deliberately encourages negative content to boost its ad revenues.  See here and here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Pace Comics

What Would You Do With 11 Billion Pesos?

Two Weeks Since Burnout