Zsazsa Zaturnnah: Cover Girl


So this happened. How often does a superhero make the cover of a men's lifestyle magazine?

The October 2016 issue of Esquire Philippines is also their anniversary issue. It will be all-illustrated, and will have five covers. Four of them will feature the works of some of our finest artists, namely Annie Cabigting (painting), Blic (street art), Gary-Ross Pastrana (sculpture), and Derek Tumala (video, available as a special e-mag cover).

I was also fortunate to have been asked to illustrate the fashion section, too. All 12 pages of it. There, I managed to sneak in Zaturnnah, Ada, Dodong, and Gwyneth among the "models," wearing clothes from high-end brands like Valentino, Lanvin, and Bottega. As far as I know, they won't be named, but here are their headshots.


When I was first approached by Esquire to do this, I told them that I wanted a project that would "feed my soul." It sure did, despite the tight schedule.

For the cover, I took a cue from Esquire's "brand," requiring a different take compared to what I had done for FHM. (Zaturnnah had already appeared twice in that magazine). Something with a good amount of sex appeal, but less of the sex. I was going for a look that could be iconic, taking inspiration from 1960s lifestyle illustrations.

Now I'm thinking, should I sell prints of the cover?

- - - - - - - - -

A belated thank you to everyone who grabbed a copy of Zaturnnah sa Maynila Part Two. It landed in the bestseller list of both National Bookstore (#10 for May) and Fully Booked (#6 for April-May)! Yay!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Pace Comics

What Would You Do With 11 Billion Pesos?

Two Weeks Since Burnout