Sk-Etching!



I was at the Summit Studio earlier today for a photo shoot. Client wanted a catalog insert in one of Summit's women's magazines, and I was at the shoot to help out. I think I've mentioned before that directing models isn't my forte, but necessity is the mother of invention after all. Last week, I helped out directing Dingdong Dantes for another client, and the session turned out well.

So far, I've been on "reality show" mode when it comes to my job. When an assignment comes in, I think of it as a reality show challenge, and I articulate the assignment--complete with commentary--in reality show style. For instance:

"Today, one of the big bosses of the company called me up for a special assignment. I was supposed to design a new publication that would tie in to an existing website. This isn't the first time I've been assigned to design a new publication--the last one was a bit traumatic for me because I spent a lot of time on it, only to learn later that it wouldn't push through. But the company had a good reason for discontinuing the project. I just felt bad because I think I did a good job in my design despite the quick turnaround. I've always wanted to design a major publication from scratch, so I hope this new assignment would get through. It'll be great for the portfolio."

Anyway, I digress...

While waiting for the hairstylist to finish primping the model, I itched to sketch, resulting in the above piece. You could tell that I couldn't get her out of my head. For the past nights, I would be drawn to my drawing desk and, seemingly possessed, sketch out scenes. Voices have started to whisper again in my head. New ideas. New insights. New ways to tell old things. On pieces of loose bond I'd do panels and add word balloons, containing the stuff of melodrama. "Paano ko susundan ang isang pangarap na matagal na akong iniwanan, na may mukhang 'di ko na natatandaan?" Mush like that.

I hope this is a good sign. I hope this means something. Not just "eching."

Comments

jzhunagev said…
Definitely not "eching" but sketching... LOLz...
Zaturnah whispers so heed her/his call...
rem said…
hey! just an fyi

http://www.cracked.com/article_17514_p2.html
Carver said…
Jayson... yes...the whispers get louder and louder... :)

rem... thanks for the link! :)
Unknown said…
Carl! I know you sketch when you're nervous—ninenerbyos ka ba kay Dingdong? Hehehe ;-)
Carver said…
Rachelle... Dehins... the Dingdong shoot went by really fast...couldn't sit down to sketch. I was sketching during another shoot--for a beauty feature. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

How To Pace Comics

What Would You Do With 11 Billion Pesos?

Two Weeks Since Burnout