To everyone who joined NaNoWriMo, hats off to y'all!

I've only completed one piece of prose fiction in my life, called Lu Parlore d'Anjelia (The Parlor of Angels) which is one piece of melodramatic cow dung I'm really proud of. I completed it before I continued work on Zsazsa Zaturnnah in 2002. It's a story told in first person, about a woman who was abandoned by her guy, and was inspired by Jostein Gaarder's novella Vita Brevis (That Same Flower).

A lot of my friends write prose. Me, well you could say that that part of me experienced an unnecessary miscarriage, so it'll be a while before I get back to stringing paragraphs together (save for blogging, of course). My boss has been urging me to contribute to Story Philippines, and I've even received two invites from the publication. But all things come in good time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm apprehensive. I don't know if I should get Madonna's Confessions on a Dance Floor. It's a freakin' CD and, despite what the reviews say, my sense of caveat emptor has been kicking me in the face after that overall disaster called American Life. Good thing that her first single Hung Up jumped to #10 on Billboard on its fourth week of release. I don't expect it to make it to the top, though. Madonna hasn't scored a #1 since Music, and Hung Up to me isn't even as catchy. (The video is so-so; krumping sorta meets disco...)

Plus, Confessions doesn't have the requisite ballad, and I really like Madonna's ballads. (This Used To Be My Playground is a haunting stroke of genius.)

Should I or should I not?

Anyways, for those who don't already know, she was accused to "copying" bars from the song Ma vie fout l'camp (My Life's Getting Nowhere) for her 1998 hit Frozen. Belgian composer Salvatore Acquaviva--yes, yes, sounds like mineral water--testified to the Belgian court that he wrote his song five years before Frozen was released. She lost that plagiarism case, so Frozen is now banned in Belgium. Well, she's been through worse.

Madonna image from recollectionbooks.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Speaking of music, Christina Aguilera's new album will reportedly contain songs inspired by the 20s, 30s, and 40s, not unlike Madonna's I'm Breathless album which spins beats inspired by the big band genre and Dick Tracy. Xtina can definitely carry the look of the era, judging from her appearance on Nelly's video Tilt Ya Head Back. She has the best vocal chops among her contemporaries, and is one of the most versatile singers around. I'm a fan.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I wasn't able to attend the press launch of Imax due to deadlines at the office. Hopefully they'll send another invitation when the theater's all done.

I'm not too hot about the whole Imax concept, though. My boss watched Star Wars: Attack of the Clones on Imax and she claims the experience was like that of The Blair WItch Project, that sleeper hit that made me want to barf midway. To me, a fairly large but normal theater is good enough for viewing cinematic spectacles. But I could be wrong--perhaps Imax would be the next standard in event movie viewing. Still, I don't think paying a premium price would be worth it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Tilt Ya Head Back? I thought that was Nelly's video? :)
Anonymous said…
See? That's what happens when they all sound alike. Hehehehe.

Tao lang po. Thanks for the correction. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

How To Pace Comics

What Would You Do With 11 Billion Pesos?

Two Weeks Since Burnout