Streep Show

I just loooove Meryl Streep. Her versatility is uncanny, subdued yet intense in House of the Spirits, then bitch queen galore in Death Becomes Her. Then there's her average lesbian Jane portrayal in The Hours. Word has it that she might just get a supporting Oscar nom for her razor-sharp performance as a ruthless senator in The Manchurian Candidate.

I wasn't able to see the tearjerker Bridges of Madison County, though. But my cousin was able to get me the Angels in America DVD, and I can only hope that it's the complete 6-hour extravaganza (about the length of the original two-part play). Madame Streep essays multiple roles here, and has added an Emmy feather to her Best Actress cap for doing so.

There seems to be no clear Streep acting style. She appears to be a different person in each role. If I'm not mistaken, she'll also be in the upcoming A Series of Unfortunate Events, so I'll be catching that just because of her (apart from the luscious production design).

Is there a local actress who has as wide a range as Streep? I can't think of anyone, except potentially Glydell Mercado, whose acting is so natural and untainted, but she doesn't have a lot of movies for me to make that conclusion. Sadly, our movies don't offer enough genre variety to offer roles that test our actors' mettle, but that's a topic for another entry.

((sigh)) I just loooove Meryl Streep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Pace Comics

What Would You Do With 11 Billion Pesos?

Two Weeks Since Burnout