American Ju-on

Hideo Nakata's 1998 horror flick Ringu gave fright films enough of a fresh face that Hollywood  put together the US version in 2002, directed by Gore Verbinski. I liked the Japanese version better; to me, the slow suspended pacing was more disturbing.

But I wasn't able to Ju-on, Takashi Shimizu's "haunted house" film, but I think it's time to turn the tables around. Hollywood's version, The Grudge, opens in theaters late-October, and I plan to watch that first before the Jap version. What makes this Sarah Michelle Gellar-starrer intriguing is that it's Shimizu himself who's directing. So it's no longer a matter of which version is better, but more of how Shimizu handles his original 2000 material with a higher budget in hand and the Western market in mind.

Needless to say, the trailer is creepo. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Pace Comics

What Would You Do With 11 Billion Pesos?

The Brilliance of 'Atang'