Weeks ago, when my mental deterioration was starting to become apparent, I checked out a medical website on the symptoms of a nervous breakdown. In the list of ten or so signs, I met most of them, including “suicidal tendencies.”

I mentioned this to my cousin upon arriving home, enumerating the symptoms I could remember. When I said, “Lack of libido, sexual appetite,” she exclaimed, “Aba’y kung gano’n ako, magpapakamatay talaga ako!”

We had a hearty laugh, bless her.

I asked my doctor-friend for a shrink recommendation, and he immediately referred me to his colleague based in Makati. He was genuinely concerned about my state, and asked me how I was feeling at the time. I quipped, “I feel like an NPC.” He couldn’t help but let out a chuckle. (Of course, you have to know your role-playing games to get the joke.)

While taking a break from work, I called up the office of the shrink for an inquiry. After learning what the consultation rates were, my doctor-friend texted in as if on cue. He asked me how I was doing, and I responded, “I called your friend’s office about the rates. Parang lalu akong na-stress.”

Sigh. You just have to laugh through it all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Pace Comics

What Would You Do With 11 Billion Pesos?

Two Weeks Since Burnout