What Would You Do...?

A relative asks you to go to another country. Said relative will pay for everything until such time that you land a job and become relatively independent. If things don't pan out, you can come home.

Will you bite?

A few years ago, this was the proposition given to a high school friend of mine. He had a career here and a charming girlfriend, but when his parents offered to support a potentially-life changing stint in Canada, he went for it. He hasn't broken off with his girlfriend and, as far as we know, has become a legitimate part of Canada's workforce. He's not super-successful yet, but he's got his proverbial foot in the door.

Last night, another friend revealed that her relative proposed a long-term all-expense paid stay in London. Said relative's son will be finishing college there and my friend was asked if she could accompany him till he finishes. Because she has a career here and a charming boyfriend, she's currently weighing the pros and cons of it all. She has to find a job in London to eventually help with the expenses, but she's under no strict obligation, and can come home if luck doesn't come her way.

Now if I was given the same opportunity, I would most probably bite. It has to be in a country that's predominantly English-speaking, though. I don't have a significant other, and I don't think I'll have one in the foreseeable future, so growth opportunities like a fully-paid overseas adventure are absolutely welcome. Career-wise, I'd like to think that I can find something to do, at least enough to pay bills. There are the attached fears to it, definitely, but I've always been a fan of manageable growth, so the answer's pretty obvious to me.

Sad thing is, I don't have any ridiculously wealthy relatives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Pace Comics

What Would You Do With 11 Billion Pesos?

Two Weeks Since Burnout