Fallen
Evanescence
Wind-Up Records

I got interested in this band after hearing their debut single "Bring Me To Life" over the radio which, as many of you might already know, is part of the soundtrack of that awkward superhero flick Daredevil. There's a thunderous yet ethereal quality to this song, and I had hoped that the rest of their debut album echoed this.

Evanescence's lead vocalist Amy Lee describes their music as 'dark rock,' and I'm gonna have to take her word for it since I don't buy a lot of rock albums to be able to tell one form from another. (The last one I got was Garbage's Beautiful Garbage, which I hardly listen to.) Whatever characterizes 'dark rock,' it's definitely a sound that grabs me by the throat and swings me around. And I don't mean that in a negative way.

This Little Rock, Arkansas band's influences include Tori Amos and Bjork. Though their lyrics aren't as convuluted as their idols', there's a palpable depth in their music, made more eerie by Lee's haunting alto. Apart from their debut single, my fave tracks include Going Under, My Immortal, Hello and Whisper which, like most of the other songs in their 11-track album, talk about love, loss, desparation, and other woe-is-you, woe-is-me themes. What gets to me, though, is that the up-tempo tracks seem to sound the same, and I'll attribute this to the need to establish that Evanescence sound. It came to a point when I thought I was listening to the full Daredevil soundtrack.

But this is the kind of debut that leaves me aching to hear more. If they keep up with their style and add a few more interesting twists and turns in their material, then call me part of the fan base.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Pace Comics

What Would You Do With 11 Billion Pesos?

Two Weeks Since Burnout