Another Zsazsa Entry

Strike while the iron is hot.

This was the conclusion of a nice talk I had with Marco while cabbing home. It seems that the best way to go right now is to continue with Zsazsa in Manila as my next book. For real. This may delight some of you out there.

I had posed the question before to Dean, David, and Reby: Would you want to be identified to a great extent by one work, or to a lesser extent by your whole body of work? Their answers were mixed, and I won’t detail them here. Ultimately, it should be my turn to make a decision.

Zsazsa Zaturnnah was meant to have three adventures. (It’s novelty can only be short-lived, really.) Any other adventure would just happen irregularly after the third. The remaining two adventures ought to be released in annual succession beginning later next year until 2005. With the unusually high interest in Zsazsa by some sectors (who I haven’t heard anything from directly), I’m suddenly pressed to take action to ‘protect the property’ through trademarking, the next step to copyrighting. It’s every small creators’ dream to reach this far in the game and though I’m happy over the developments, I think it’s normal for me to feel all jittery and indecisive about them. Hopefully I’ll soon be able to straighten it all out in my head.

Bottom line is, Zsazsa in Manila should see print through a major publisher within 2004, and she will be a major part of my life for the next few years. It will be only after the third adventure is released that I’ll break away and do the serious stuff, the science-fiction character study I had been conceptualizing, as well as my modern fantasy collaboration with David Hontiveros.

Zsazsa Zaturnnah may perhaps be my most ‘popular’ work, and it may define me from a pop culture standpoint, but I’m still hoping to be able to do my ‘best’ work on a craft level. There will be time. I’ll make sure of that.

Yes, strike while the iron is hot. But, still, very carefully. For all I know, it could all just be a dud.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Pace Comics

What Would You Do With 11 Billion Pesos?

The Brilliance of 'Atang'