On Character Design

The saying, "You are what you wear," pretty much sums up my recently-adapted philosophy when I think about character design. The joy of designing characters not only rests in determining who these imaginary personages are, but also how their non-physical attributes reflect on their manner of dress. Coming up with a design can start with asking, "who are you?" When that's settled, the question "what would you wear?" can follow.

This illustration is a rejected commission piece, but I particularly enjoyed evoking the unique personalities of these characters through their costumes. The overall theme is military, and the initial peg was manga. Maybe I can use them for my own personal gain in the future. Hwek hwek hwek.

Comments

Ponpokopon said…
So far, i've only been reading western (american) lesbian comics and noticed that somehow, yung mga bida, they are mostly lean and "cool looking".
I thought of creating characters for my komix that are more "real" (mataba, medyo baduy, cool, etc.) kaya lang mahabang proseso pala ito... I've already done a few way back when though.

Popular posts from this blog

How To Pace Comics

What Would You Do With 11 Billion Pesos?

The Brilliance of 'Atang'