Interviews

On average, I get solicited for 1 or 2 interviews a month. It's really flattering, knowing that there are a few folks out there who feel I have something important to say.

I think, however, I ought to create a separate blog/website for the most common questions-- particularly concerning background information. Something like an online "press kit." I don't know if it's a proper thing to do since it kills spontaneity, but I think having background information readily available can save interview time, allowing the proceedings to jump immediately to the more cerebral concerns.

The last interview I had was with a student who was doing a semiotic reading of the Zaturnnah book. Towards the end of the session, he asked, "What was the weirdest question you ever gotd?"

I don't recall a particular question, but I do remember a particular incident. Without naming names or circumstances here, Interviewer asked me, "What's the book about?"

I said, "It's about a homosexual who becomes a superhero."

Interviewer: "So are you gay?"

I answered, "Yes."

Interviewer then paused, poker-faced, and just stared at me for about ten seconds. The Interviewer's head bobbed slowly, and it appeared that this Interviewer's mind drew a momentary blank, like I gave an answer that was totally unexpected. From my standpoint, Interviewer seemed to be mentally scraping for a follow-up.

Growing uncomfortable, I took a sip of water. A new question finally came up, and the rest of the interview went along smoothly.

But it was one of the longest ten seconds of my life.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yikes, I must have committed some blunders of my own when I was interviewing you, hahaha!

Hope you're doing well. :)
Ed said…
Ba't ba may mga nagi-interview na di muna nagreresearch about the interviewee before firing questions? Hehehe.

Johnny! WTF? :P

-ed
Anonymous said…
Sana sinabi mo:

"Mr. Interviewer, hindi lang po ako bading. Ako si... (removing your mask) ZATURNNAH!!!"
Carver said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carver said…
Heheheheh...

Well, it was just a weird moment, but the overall interview went well.

teresa... you did well, dear. Hope you're a-okay, too. :-)

balbona... saan? kelan? PAANO? :-)

ed... oh, I don't know. Deadlines?

vince... kasya ang bumabahang buhok sa loob ng maskara! :-)
Anonymous said…
anong bang maka-pigil hininga sa pagiging Gay?? Issue pa ba yun ngaun??

Like Duh!!...

Popular posts from this blog

How To Pace Comics

What Would You Do With 11 Billion Pesos?

Two Weeks Since Burnout