One of Them Days

It's only Tuesday and I'm dying already.

Fret not, Carlo, it'll be over soon...


During one of the gang’s lengthy discussions about writing, Dean posed the question to everyone: what is the underlying theme across all your works?

I answered “hope.” From One Night In Purgatory to Zsazsa Zaturnnah, as well as my Hinirang short stories Lu Parlores d’Anjelia and Isa Pang Awit (the latter having yet to be finished), the theme permeates through in varying degrees and intensities. To me, what else can fuel existence in the midst of adversity, if not hope?

This week didn’t start off on a very good note, one of those weeks that had little intentions of getting along for no clear reason, and we all know what those are like. As Brownstone once sang, “It’s one of them days.” And, no, it’s not that time of the month.

In our impressionable youth, we’d equate these days as portents of doom, marking the rest of our lives with the flaming runes we’d blame if tomorrow turned bleak. In our short-termed mindframe, one singular event equated to everything else. “My girlfriend left me – my whole life is crap!” “I failed the easiest subject in school – my whole life is crap!” “I’m bored – my whole life is crap!”

But thankfully, we grew older and wiser, and discover that everything happens in cycles. I’m on the low end of the seesaw right now, but it’s Nirvana compared to my all-time abyssmal low of 2002. It’s just really one of ‘em days, no more nor less, and there is that thematic hope (and knowledge) that it will quickly pass.

But in the meantime, let me sulk for no reason.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Pace Comics

What Would You Do With 11 Billion Pesos?

Two Weeks Since Burnout