Why Making Graphic Novels Still Appeals to Me (even if I stopped)

On many occasions, I've expressed (quite desperately) wanting to quit comics, and for many people, it would seem that all I've been doing is being dramatic about it. On one end, I understand the sentiment, as it brings forth my indecisiveness, and on the other end, it's true. I've been quite dramatic about it, to the point of self-sabotage.

But I don't regret it, because keeping mum about it would betray how passionate I am about the art form. Those who know what it's like to both write and draw a story with a certain quality would understand. Among all the art forms I've explored--acting, writing, and drawing--making long-form comics is really HARD.

And that's why I feel this "ninth art" deserves more respect and patronage.

But that's not for me to declare.

What I really like about making graphic novels is that it is a multi-faceted art, bridging writing, design, illustration, theater and, eventually, film, taking principles from each and combining them into a single package. If done well, a graphic novel can stand the test of time and reach "classic" status, like any celebrated novel. But apart from the level of talent required, it takes a fierce tenacity, and perhaps a couple of deep pockets, to keep at it over the long term.

Add to this is its potential for cross-media. The graphic novel is the proof of concept. It can be film, it can be theater, it can branch off to other entertainment forms, all the way up to myriad merchandising and licensing possibilities. It contains the words, it contains the visuals, it contains the design.

What's more, it can be done by one person given a decent wage. Many creators go about it without even expecting anything in return. This perhaps, is the one thing that graphic novels have going against it--the impression that it's easy to make. And the reason that's a bad thing is another story altogether.

So, what do I plan to do? Nothing, really. I'm in rest mode. For the stories that I want to tell, I'm just going to write them down, maybe hammer out a script if time and drive allows. I like those stories. It would be a shame if I don't give them the chance to play.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Pace Comics

What Would You Do With 11 Billion Pesos?

Two Weeks Since Burnout