Virgin Labfest 12: Binyag

Apart from continuing my drawing chores for Zaturnnah sa Maynila, I spent some time at the Cultural Center of the Philippines over the last few weeks to take part in the Virgin Labfest proceedings.

The distance that I needed to cover to get to the CCP has always been daunting, making me unable to watch all the featured plays. My normal commute would be to take the LRT-2 from Santolan to Pureza, then hail a cab to take me to Pasay. Going home was a greater--and at times, more expensive--challenge, especially during Friday and payday nights.

Apart from my set, I was only able to catch Set D, which featured Eliza Victoria's "Marte" (directed by George de Jesus), Dingdong Novenario's "Daddy's Girl" (dir. Nick Pichay), and Rick Patriarca's "Hapagkainan" (dir. Chris Martinez). It was the last day of the festival, and both sets C and D were closing on that day.

As was expected, the theatre was packed for the final show of the festival, and I stood in the crowded theatre for over two hours. My knees and feet were beginning to ache, so much so that I had to rush outside the theatre to get myself walking. I missed the marriage proposal.

I won't lie. I was really hoping that our play would get selected to be restaged, but I had heard that the line-up was particularly good this year. Among the favorites were"Daddy's Girl," "Hapagkainan,"  Maki dela Rosa's "Ang Mga Bisita ni Jean," and Guelan Luarca's "Bait,"  I was outside the CCP when I got the news that, indeed, we got in. Despite the fulfillment of my hope, the effect was surreal. It would be my second time to be revisited.

So apart from "Mula sa Kulimliman," the other two revisited plays are "Ang Sugilanon ng Kabiguan ni Epefania," written by Alexandra May Cardoso (dir. Charles Yee) and Dominique La Victoria's "Ang Bata sa Drum" (dir. Dudz TeraƱa). I feel flattered to be with these two.



Thanks so much, Virgin Labfest!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Pace Comics

What Would You Do With 11 Billion Pesos?

Two Weeks Since Burnout