Saturday Morning: Almost Done

I slept at around seven in the morning Saturday as I was finishing more art requirements for the Zsazsa Zaturnnah compilation. Two color pin-ups left and it's good to go. Thank God it almost done. After three hours of sleep, I flew to Makati to submit the new files to the publisher and have lunch at McDonald's -- two lackluster cheeseburger meals.

Saturday Afternoon: Kidstuff

Jumped into a taxi and got to UN Avenue at 1:30, early enough to grab some coffee at Le Couer de France and contemplate my spiels for the children's party. (See Weekenders entry below.) I was at the venue by 3:00 pm, but we didn't start till an hour or so later. Apart from Angelo and Xochi, I was able to see a bunch of other folks I haven't seen of late -- Mon, Joseph, Richard, Suki, Abi, Chari, Edsel, Roy, Francis, Zeki, etc.

There were 15 kids in all, with ages ranging from 7 to 12, and they were pretty excitable and endearing, though I can't imagine myself having to deal with them everyday. You've got to give them social workers more than a pat on the back.

So I go into emcee mode and worked the crowd, trying to keep the energy up despite my lack of sleep. I prepared three games to keep things active and moving, and the kids were really into it, cheering and laughing and brimming with enthusiasm. First there was a word game, were each kid had a letter, and they had to form words in response to a riddle. Then a jigsaw puzzle relay, where a team had to complete as many mini-jigsaw puzzles as they can. Third game was a pictionary-type game, with me drawing the clues on their blackboard.

Usually after these exhauting sessions, I have a hard time eating. My legs hurt from standing for most of the time, and my voice had gotten hoarse from being unable to speak through my diaphragm. But I ate eventually for replenishment purposes.

I admire Angelo especially since he does this for a living. He has been very instrumental in opening my eyes wider to this side of life and I'm very grateful to him, because the experience helps keep me grounded and thankful. It's difficult for me to imagine how poor families can survive the economic rut for extended periods, and there's something to be said about their inner strength and resilience. So thanks, Angelo, for exposing me on occasion to that world. I may not be able to do that on an everyday basis, but I'm always willing to help when I can.

Saturday Night 1: Transformations

Angelo, Xochi, and I headed to Xochi's unit to change costumes. I had to change my shirt to a tight black number, a piece of clothing that encourages my suppressed chutzpah. At the unit, Xochi let me watch an episode of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, a popular cable show on the Bravo channel. Five homosexuals, each with their own specialty -- grooming, food and wine, fashion, culture, and interiors -- invade the life of shabby straight guy and gives the latter a major make-over. It's one of the most entertaining shows out there. It's fast-paced, witty and funny, enlightening, and gives you a helpful hint or two.

The episode's transformation is miraculous. Sure, you can imagine how much moolah is required to exact the metamorphosis, but it's much worth it comparing the before and after reels. The good thing about the change is that nothing is imposed. The five experts examine what the straight guy is all about and work around that personality. So the inherent ruggedness of the episode's straight subject is still intact after the transformation.

It's the kind of show that should be shown here. It's smart, decent and entertaining.

(More Later)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Pace Comics

What Would You Do With 11 Billion Pesos?

Two Weeks Since Burnout